Fitting stylish Venetian blinds can give your home a new lease of life – find out how to fit a Venetian blind in our simple 30-minute guide.
Venetian blinds are a great choice for both the home and office as they provide flexible amounts of light and privacy and look simple and attractive. With their horizontal slats and pulley controls, Venetian blinds are easy to use and adjust and come in all kinds of colours and designs; shop around to find one that suits your home. Still not convinced? Here are some of the key benefits of installing Venetian blinds.
Benefits of Venetian Blinds?
Venetian blinds are popular in homes and offices; here are some of the reasons why:
- Venetian blinds come in a range of materials and designs to suit your home décor; choose from uPVC, aluminium or wood in a variety of colours and with slats of different widths.
- The design of Venetian blinds allows you to adjust slats easily in order to let in exactly the desired amount of light.
- Venetian blinds provide different degrees of privacy and for that reason are often used in offices and homes.
- You don’t need to spend lots of time cleaning and maintaining Venetian blinds, they simply need to be dusted and wiped down every so often.
- Venetian blinds can be made to suit all window sizes.
If you opt to install Venetian blinds, shop around to find the style you like online or in stores; there’s so much out there that you’ll be spoilt for choice.
Venetian Blinds Fitting Advice
Once you’ve chosen the design of your Venetian blinds, always follow the manufacturers’ instructions on how to fit Venetian blinds or ask a professional for help if you have any doubts. Many blind suppliers will offer a free or discounted fitting service should you need it. Here are some simple instructions for fitting Venetian blinds:
Get the right size
- make sure that your blinds are the right size for your window, taking into account whether you want to hang them inside or outside the recess.
- Measure the width and length of the window several times to make sure your calculations are correct and buy the right size blinds or have them custom made to the correct dimensions.
Decide where to fit your blind
- It can be placed inside or outside the window recess; hanging them outside will cover the window sill so consider whether you want this look or not.
- Hanging outside the recess means that objects on the window sill won’t be disturbed each time you lower the blinds. Don’t forget to consider the position of window handles when deciding where to put your blinds too.
Attaching brackets – brackets need to be drilled into the wall to hold your blinds in place.
- If you’re fitting blinds outside the window recess they can be fixed above the wall surrounding the window or on either side or it.
- If you’re fitting inside the window recess you can screw brackets onto the window frame or attach them to the top of the window recess.
- Mark bracket positions with pencil first and make sure they’re level before you drill the holes.
- If you have uPVC window frames, do not drill holes into them, this will crack and ruin the frames; instead, clip systems are available to fit blinds to uPVC windows.
Hang the blinds – make sure you insert the blinds into the bracket the right way round (check the cord winder is at the top) and secure them in place.
- If you’re still unsure about how to install Venetian blinds, it’s worth contacting a professional blind installer.