Your home is often a source of pride and joy. It’s the space you retreat to after a busy day at work, it’s where you feel the most comfortable, it’s that safe haven for your family, and it’s where you entertain guests and make them feel welcome and at home.
With so much time spent in your home, it’s only normal that over time, the wear and tear start to show. Not only that but décor and design trends change from year to year, which can leave your home feeling dated and far from stylish. If this sounds familiar and you’re ready to give the interior of your home an overhaul, then this guide is for you.
Here we’ll take a look at what projects should appear on your must-do list when you’re planning to do a complete overhaul where the interior of your home is concerned. It’s really easy to get bogged down by your wish list, which is why it’s so important to prioritize and make sure you’re making the right decisions that will garner the most impactful results. So, let’s jump right in and take a look at some of the best projects to tackle in the home that will leave it feeling modern, stylish, trendy, comfortable, and functional.
Give Yourself a Modern New Kitchen
When you think about the room that you spend the most time in, typically, it is the kitchen. It’s not just for preparing and cooking meals, it is also the room where everyone gathers around the table to chat, share a meal together, hang out, do homework, and congregate. Often, the kitchen ends up getting more use than even the family room/living room.
So, as you start to think about what you can do to modernize the kitchen, it’s important to keep functionality in mind. The kitchen layout is extremely important no matter how big or small the room is. Everything needs to be laid out in such a way that it flows, things are within reach, and it just makes sense. Outside of that, you can start to inject your own ideas and creativity into the design.
Much of what you decide to do in the kitchen will come down to your budget, the timeline, and whether or not you’ll be doing the work yourself. Common features that you can work into the overhaul include:
- Installing new cupboards, or refinishing the ones you have
- Installing new flooring
- Changing the layout to make it work better for you and your needs
- Buying new furniture (a new dining set)
- Changing out the hardware on the kitchen doors
- Swapping out light fixtures for new modern ones
- Hanging new window coverings
- Installing a backsplash
- Installing a new countertop; natural stone tends to be the most luxurious and durable option
- Upgrading the existing appliances to more modern ones; be sure to shop for energy-efficient models
- Building an island
All of these updates will create a massive difference in the kitchen and provide you with fabulous results. Even if you only tackle a few of these projects it’s going to make a noticeable difference.
Because kitchen remodels are so expensive you may want to tackle this project in stages, doing a bit over the span of a few months, a year, or even a couple of years as you can afford the upgrade.
Updating Your Master Bathroom Can be a Great Investment
If you have a master bathroom in your home this is an excellent opportunity to give it a little attention. You can start by making any necessary repairs and ensure everything is in good working condition.
One common complaint that homeowners have when it comes to bathrooms is a clogged shower drain. Over time, it can get worse and worse, leaving homeowners struggling to figure out how to unclog a shower drain properly. A good tip is to refer to this guide to unclogging a shower drain from The Shroom Company, as it takes you through the process step-by-step. It looks at the reasons behind the clogged drain so that you can hopefully prevent it from happening again, as well as the steps you need to take. The Shroom Company actually sells a very handy gadget for drains that will prevent them from becoming clogged, an answer to your problem.
Other issues that may require repair or attention are a clogged toilet, a dripping faucet, or even a leaking toilet.
Once you have made any necessary repairs you can then take a look at what needs sprucing up, and then prioritize based on your budget. If you’re working with a tight budget some of the renovations you can make include:
- Installing a new faucet in a new finish and/or style
- Cleaning the grout between the tiles
- Re-caulking the grout between the tiles
- Hanging a new mirror in the bathroom
- Painting the bathroom
- Refinish or paint cabinetry
- Installing a new ceiling light
For those who have a larger budget to work with and want to make more of a substantial impact you can look at projects such as:
- Laying new flooring
- Changing the layout
- Installing a new tub and/or shower
- Installing new tiling throughout the bathroom
- Replacing the vanity
- Making the bathroom larger (you will need to steal space from an adjoining room)
It really comes down to how much of a project you are willing to take on.
Creating the Ultimate Bedroom Retreat
Then there is the master bedroom, which many homeowners envision as the room that is meant to be a retreat. This is the room that is all about relaxation and comfort, yet often it gets forgotten about or put on the back burner. Depending on your own personal priorities, this may be the room you’re most excited to update.
While each person will have their own style and likes, in general, there are some basic updates and projects that can do wonders for the master bedroom. These updates include:
- Choose a striking new colour palette; opt for rich luxurious tones to create a sense of elegance and sophistication, or light and neutral for a bright and airy vibe.
- Use the new colour palette to help pick artwork, décor, new linens, and an area rug. This will help to create a more cohesive flow in the space.
- Buy new furniture that works with the colour palette and design concept.
- Create a statement wall with wallpaper, a different colour of paint, architectural details, or even art.
- When choosing new bedding be sure to pick soft and luxurious fabrics, not just for an elegant look, but to promote better sleep.
- Switching out the ceiling light for something that has a personality like a chandelier or drop lighting.
- Install wall sconces above side tables, or even above the headboard.
- Make sure that storage is a priority to ensure everything has a place and there is no clutter.
- Hang new window coverings to modernize the room.
- Change the layout.
You can really go all out in the master bedroom and make it that true oasis you’ve been dreaming about.
An Exciting New Space to Enjoy
So whether you pick just one room on this list to update or all three, one thing is for sure and that is the fact you’ll be creating an exciting, modern, and eye