Central Heating Systems
There are a variety of central heating systems. Each uses specific boiler technology in various ways. Combination, condensing and systems boilers are the most common types of heating systems and can run on a variety of fuels.
- Gas – condensing boilers typically use a gas such as propane to heat water, which is then pumped through a network of pipes throughout the building. This type of system is ideal for underfloor heating and be used in very large buildings
- Electric – these systems tend to be more expensive as electric energy is automatically converted to heat and distributed using air duct networks. This system is best suited to homes or buildings where all rooms need to be constantly heated.
- Hydronic – hydronic systems are using steam or hot water; its circuit is through a loop system which is closed that is using water alternatively to heating or cooling. These systems are ideal for heating in the winter and cooling in the summer.
Repairs and Maintenance
Any central heating system will only be energy efficient as long as it is well maintained. Most central heating installations come with maintenance plans to ensure that your boiler system is kept in perfect working condition all year round, even when not in use. The cost of central heating boiler maintenance is minimal compared to the cost of boiler repairs or even replacement due to lack of care. Boilers kept in good shape will provide years of energy efficient and money saving service.
Common Central Heating Problems & Solutions
- Human Error – sometimes it might appear that your central heating isn’t working simply because of a mistake you or a repairman or someone else in the home might have made with the switches and settings. First of all, check the pilot light is switched on. Next, check that the thermostat is turned up to the required temperature. If both of those are fine, see if the pressure is high enough on your boiler – it might need turning up to ensure water is being heated properly. Finally, make sure the timer settings haven’t been altered, as these can be changed easily simply by following the provided instruction manual. It may sound silly, but checking these before looking into fixing a boiler could save you a lot of time and money in potential repairs or call-out services.
- Trapped Air in Radiators – if the hot water is working fine but heat simply isn’t being emitted from various radiators in the home (or if they have cold spots in some parts and not others), then you might simply have a case of trapped air, one of the most common forms of central heating radiator problems. This can easily be dealt with, simply by bleeding your radiators. All this involves is the loosening of the valve on the side of the fitting, and letting out any excess air until you catch the overflow of hot water with a damp cloth – a sign that the trapped air has been successfully removed!
- Sediment Build-Up – if bleeding your radiators proves unsuccessful, then you might have a significant accumulation of sediment and sludge in the fittings that’s preventing hot water from circulating properly. Unfortunately the only real solution for this central heating problem is to hire a plumber to carry out a professional ‘power-flush’ of your system.
- Faulty Timer/ Control Panel – sometimes you might find that your radiators are working erratically, and that every now and then your boiler does fire-up successfully – just not always when you need it. If this is the case, then you may have central heating timer problems. This can usually be solved by simply pushing the reset button, but if this doesn’t work you should call the helpline of the boiler manufacturer to go through any instructions you might have missed.
- Leaky Pipe(s) – if you hear pipes banging, clanging or even ticking throughout the night, then it might be that you have a central heating leak in one of the major parts of your system. If you don’t mind peeling up a few floorboards you could check to see if it’s just a case of the pipe-work being installed too close to another surface (hence the cause of the banging), but if you need an immediate repair or proper structural redesign then you me be better off waiting until a professional plumber comes and takes a look for you.
- Old Boiler – if, after testing for all the above, you still have problems with central heating, then it might simply be that you have an old, tired, outdated boiler that needs replacing. After all, they don’t last forever, and only installing a new boiler provides the streamlined energy-efficiency that is guaranteed to keep you and your family warmer for longer.
Home central heating systems can be cost effective but this largely depends on the type of fuel being used. Most modern boilers tend to use natural gas, one of the most energy efficient fuels for any boiler system, while others use oil, wood or even solid fuels such as coal. Certain boiler systems operate best are certain fuels, which is why you should always consult the professionals before deciding on which boiler system and fuel source is best for you.
Domestic and Commercial Central Heating Services
Our central heating professionals are specialised and able to take over both domestic and commercial central heating jobs. Whether you are interested in servicing or repairing the central heating of your home or of a rental property or social housing, our experts can handle with their experience all boilers and heating systems, diagnose the problems and provide highly effective solutions.
Central Heating Repair Costs
Average central heating repair prices vary based on the extent of the problem and what steps must be taken to adequately repair the heating system. The type of system can affect the price of repairs along with the local cost of labour, parts and materials. When a central heating repair job is not feasible due to extensive problems with the system, the experts in our database can install a new boiler or central heating system for a reasonable price.
Central Heating Repair Quotes
By completing the easy and convenient form below, you can receive up to 3 competitive quotes direct from central heating repair experts. The companies in our database are pre-qualified with prove track records and Gas Safe registered engineers who are skilled, professional and provide guarantees on their work. Do not let a minor problem turn into a major one. In case of problems just contact us for direct and free quotes.