It is known that people do not pay attention to their residential home boiler until they see that have problems (breaking down, have no hot water or heating system is down). Prevention is preferable to cure, as they say, and one of the optimum ways to avoid a gas or oil boiler breakdown is always to schedule an annual maintenance check. Here are the top reasons to really get your boiler system serviced:
1) You can save money on repairs – if you’ll make periodically verification to your boiler, to ensure it is working correctly. Ask for professional expert as they can correct any minor mistakes, which left unrepaired, could cause significant difficulties later on. This may save you money by avoiding bigger boiler repairs.
2) Boiler service could save your life – A faulty home boiler may be exceedingly dangerous; approximately 20 people die every year in the UK from carbon monoxide (CO) leaks caused by faulty gas boilers and appliances; reports the Health and Safety Executive. A regular residential home boiler service will detect any CO leaks, keeping you and your family-safe from CO poisoning.
3) Reduce your fuel bills – A professional boiler engineer will make sure your boiler isn’t squandering energy; this will save you money on your own fuel bills in addition to cut your home carbon emissions.
4) Ensure you have a valid insurance – Several boiler warranties require that you have your home boiler regularly serviced.
5) Stay legal– Landlords are legally obliged to service boilers in their rental properties every year and must provide a genuine Gas Safety certificate for gas boilers.
How much does it cost to service an oil fired boiler?
An oil boiler system will cost more to set up, operate and support, but if you really live in a rural region which isn’t on the gas mains, this could be your only option. The typical cost of oil boiler service will vary depending upon the place you live and the make of the home boiler:
- Whatprice says that an oil boiler service costs between GBP50 and GBP180.
Fixed price boiler repairs
When servicing your home boiler, a heating engineer might discover that you simply need some repair work done. If this is really the case, it could be a great thought to negotiate a fixed price boiler repair. Look around for the greatest fixed cost boiler repair costs; for example:
- British Gas fixed-price boiler repairs begin at GBP69
- Homeserve fixed price boiler repairs start at GBP58.
Hiring an engineer to service your boiler
You ought to have your boiler serviced annually, or more frequently if suggested by the boiler maker. Make sure you hire the proper engineer for the job:
Gas boiler service – by law everyone who installs, repairs or services gas appliances must certainly be registered with Gas Sae;
Solid fuel boiler service – if you possess a wood or coal-burning boiler, the best solution is to rent a HETAS registered engineer which is prepared to perform your boiler service in safety conditions.
HETAS suggest regular cleaning of the chimney and flue along with boiler checks It’s a great thought to get your own oil boiler serviced by an OFTEC registered engineer
Boiler servicing grants
You might be entitled to a grant to the cost of servicing your boiler through one of the schemes:
- The Warm Front Scheme – for anyone living in England
- The Warm Home Scheme – for citizens of Northern Ireland -Energy Provider Grants
- Energy suppliers must provide discounts and grants for things like boiler servicing under Carbon-emission Reduction Targets (CERT))
- Local Government Grants – call your local authority to understand whether you’re entitled to a boiler servicing grant.